The Job Market in 2023 is a series of events organized by the KU Department of Spanish & Portuguese and the Graduate Association for the Department of Spanish & Portuguese (GRASP). Speakers will discuss essential skills for academic and professional success, such as building a teaching portfolio, preparing for interviews, designing a cover letter and CV, and more.
This year's events were scheduled for September 15th, September 21st, October 6th, and October 20th, 2023. Details archived below:
Fall 2023 Schedule of Events:
September 15th, 2023 from 12:00 - 1:30pm
"Get Your Research Out There: Publishing Your Interdisciplinary Work"
Benjamin Fraser, University of Arizona
September 21st, 2023 from 4:00 - 5:00pm
"Not Plan B: Diversifying Your Work Inside and Outside of Academia"
Jill S. Kuhnheim, Brown University; Professor Emerita, KU
October 6th, 2023 from 3:00 - 4:00pm
"Navigating DEAI in the US Job Market: Insights for Graduate Students"
Iris Hauser, Princeton University
October 20th, 2023 from 1:00 - 2:00pm
"From Ph.D. to Professorship: Real-World Insights from Recent Graduates"
Andrés Rabinovich, The University of Chicago
Exploring various career paths will assist you in finding careers that will be a good fit based on your interests, skills, values, and professional program. The following resources are designed for all graduate students: from those who know exactly what career field they plan to pursue to those who want to see what different opportunities are available!
- Academic Careers You May Not Have Considered
- Connected Academics: Career exploration tool for graduate students of language and literature
- Imagine PhD: Career exploration tool for graduate students in the Humanities and Social Sciences
- AAAS MyIDP: Career exploration and planning tool for STEM students
- CHEMIDP: Career planning tool for chemical scientists
- Faculty Development & Diversity
- Versatile PhD
- Guide to Academic Careers (.pdf)
- Imagine PhD
- Imagine PhD provides resources that assist in the development of CVs, cover letters, and career planning (free registration required).
- Nonprofit Careers
- Intersect Jobs: Job simulation exercises to support career exploration for scientists and humanists
- Career Guides and Insights
- Career Beyond the Academy: Different career options for a variety of PhDs
- COGA Grants & Fellowship Resources
- KU Graduate Studies Funding Resources
- External Funding Opportunities List for Humanities and Social Sciences Graduate Students (.docx) (Shared by Brett Bias, Research Development Specialist at Hall Center for the Humanities)
- Hall Center for the Humanities Research & Grant Development Office (RGDO) Handbook (.pdf)
- Includes information regarding the RGDO's services for KU Graduate Students and how to write an effective grant or fellowship proposal. Shared by Brett Bias, Research Development Specialist at Hall Center for the Humanities.
Career preparation will provide you with guides to help you navigate the basic steps you should be taking as you get ready to apply for positions after graduation. You might know what you generally want to be doing with your degree, and this section can assist you in creating foundational materials.
- Diversity Statement and Teaching Portfolio Presentation by Iris Hauser, featured in The Job Market in 2021 workshop session held October 29th
- UCLA Diversity Statements Guide (.pdf) (Shared by Ninel Valderrama-Negrón)
- UMI Teaching Statement Guide (.pdf) (Shared by Ninel Valderrama-Negrón)
- Research Statement example (.pdf) (Shared by Ninel Valderrama-Negrón)
- DEAI: Diversity Statement (.pdf)
- Examples of submitted diversity statements (.pdf)
Congrats, you’ve found a position or role that fits your passions, interests, and degree! These resources will give you tailored resources to help you specify your application materials to the position of interest and set you up for success!
- Job Market in 2023 - Interview Basics
- Interview Prep
- Salary Negotiation
- KU Career Center Job Search Prep
- KU Career Center Jobs & Internships
- More KU Career Center Resources
- HireJayhawks Job Board
- Contact Kaila Colyott (firstname.lastname@example.org) with the Center for Teaching Excellence for help with applying to academic positions