Job Market – Exploration & Planning
The Department of Spanish and Portuguese & GRASP Present:
The Job Market in 2022
Virtual and in-person workshop series
Are you on the job market? Even if you are not, join the KU Department of Spanish & Portuguese for a series of workshops this semester!
Designed to assist graduate students in building their academic and professional careers, The Job Market in 2022 (.pdf) is a series of virtual workshops presented by the KU Department of Spanish & Portuguese and the Graduate Association for the Department of Spanish & Portuguese (GRASP). Attendees will learn from professors and graduate students about building a teaching portfolio, preparing for interviews, designing a cover letter and CV, and more!
Events are scheduled for October 7th, October 14th, October 28th, and November 18th, and are held simultaneously via Zoom and in-person at Wescoe 2600. All events take place from 12:00pm - 1:00pm. Please view the event flyer (.pdf) for specific event topics.
Exploring various career paths will assist you in finding careers that will be a good fit based on your interests, skills, values, and professional program. The following resources are designed for all graduate students: from those who know exactly what career field they plan to pursue to those who want to see what different opportunities are available!
- Academic Careers You May Not Have Considered
- Connected Academics: Career exploration tool for graduate students of language and literature
- Imagine PhD: Career exploration tool for graduate students in the Humanities and Social Sciences
- AAAS MyIDP: Career exploration and planning tool for STEM students
- CHEMIDP: Career planning tool for chemical scientists
- Faculty Development & Diversity
- Versatile PhD
- Guide to Academic Careers (.pdf)
- Imagine PhD
- Imagine PhD provides resources that assist in the development of CVs, cover letters, and career planning (free registration required).
- Nonprofit Careers
- Intersect Jobs: Job simulation exercises to support career exploration for scientists and humanists
- Career Guides and Insights
- Career Beyond the Academy: Different career options for a variety of PhDs
- COGA Grants & Fellowship Resources
- KU Graduate Studies Funding Resources
- External Funding Opportunities List for Humanities and Social Sciences Graduate Students (.docx) (Shared by Brett Bias, Research Development Specialist at Hall Center for the Humanities)
- Hall Center for the Humanities Research & Grant Development Office (RGDO) Handbook (.pdf)
- Includes information regarding the RGDO's services for KU Graduate Students and how to write an effective grant or fellowship proposal. Shared by Brett Bias, Research Development Specialist at Hall Center for the Humanities.
Career preparation will provide you with guides to help you navigate the basic steps you should be taking as you get ready to apply for positions after graduation. You might know what you generally want to be doing with your degree, and this section can assist you in creating foundational materials.
- Diversity Statement and Teaching Portfolio Presentation by Iris Hauser, featured in The Job Market in 2021 workshop session held October 29th
- UCLA Diversity Statements Guide (.pdf) (Shared by Ninel Valderrama-Negrón)
- UMI Teaching Statement Guide (.pdf) (Shared by Ninel Valderrama-Negrón)
- Research Statement example (.pdf) (Shared by Ninel Valderrama-Negrón)
- DEAI: Diversity Statement (.pdf)
- Examples of submitted diversity statements (.pdf)
Congrats, you’ve found a position or role that fits your passions, interests, and degree! These resources will give you tailored resources to help you specify your application materials to the position of interest and set you up for success!
- Job Market in 2022 - Interview Basics
- Interview Prep
- Salary Negotiation
- KU Career Center Job Search Prep
- KU Career Center Jobs & Internships
- More KU Career Center Resources
- HireJayhawks Job Board
- Contact Kaila Colyott (email@example.com) with the Center for Teaching Excellence for help with applying to academic positions