Job Market – Exploration & Planning
The Department of Spanish and Portuguese & GRASP Present:
The Job Market in 2021
Are you in the job market? Even if you are not, join the KU Department of Spanish & Portuguese for a series of workshops this semester!
Designed to assist graduate students in building their academic and professional careers, The Job Market in 2021 (.pdf) is a series of virtual workshops presented by the KU Department of Spanish & Portuguese and the Graduate Association for the Department of Spanish & Portuguese (GRASP). Attendees will learn from professors and graduate students about building a teaching portfolio, preparing for interviews, designing a cover letter and CV, and more!
Exploring various career paths will assist you in finding careers that will be a good fit based on your interests, skills, values, and professional program. The following resources are designed for all graduate students: from those who know exactly what career field they plan to pursue to those who want to see what different opportunities are available!
- Academic Careers You May Not Have Considered
- Connected Academics: Career exploration tool for graduate students of language and literature
- Imagine PhD: Career exploration tool for graduate students in the Humanities and Social Sciences
- AAAS MyIDP: Career exploration and planning tool for STEM students
- CHEMIDP: Career planning tool for chemical scientists
- Faculty Development & Diversity
- Versatile PhD
- Guide to Academic Careers (.pdf)
- COGA Grad Paths Newsletter
- COGA DGS & Staff Resources
- University Career Center - Graduate Student Resources
- Imagine PhD
- Imagine PhD provides resources that assist in the development of CVs, cover letters, and career planning (free registration required).
- Nonprofit Careers
- Intersect Jobs: Job simulation exercises to support career exploration for scientists and humanists
- Life Outside the Academy
- Career Guides and Insights
- Career Beyond the Academy: Different career options for a variety of PhDs
Career preparation will provide you with guides to help you navigate the basic steps you should be taking as you get ready to apply for positions after graduation. You might know what you generally want to be doing with your degree, and this section can assist you in creating foundational materials.
Congrats, you’ve found a position or role that fits your passions, interests, and degree! These resources will give you tailored resources to help you specify your application materials to the position of interest and set you up for success!