Degree or non-degree seeking applicants must have a bachelor’s degree (as evidence by an official transcript from the institution the degree was obtained) and a minimum GPA of 3.0 in the most recent degree that was obtained.

Students* not meeting these requirements may be admitted provisionally upon recommendation by the department; however, restrictions on certain type of funding, including GTA/GRA/GA funding, apply to students on provisional admission status. Students should consult the program admissions advisor or Director of Graduate Study (DGS) on their eligibility for funding with admission.

*By Federal regulation, International students seeking F-1 status must meet the standards of Regular Admission. Provisional admission is not sufficient to issue the Form I-20.

The University requires all applicants, international or domestic, to demonstrate English proficiency for admission to any graduate program at KU.There are three ways to prove English proficiency:

  1. Declaration of native speaker status on the online application for graduate study.
  2. Graduation with a baccalaureate degree (or higher) earned in residence from an accredited English-medium U.S. college or university or a college or university in the United Kingdom, Australia, NewZealand, Ireland, English-speaking province of Canada, or an English-speaking Caribbean country, with instruction conducted in English.
  3. Degrees earned online may not be used to verify English proficiency. Note: this option is not sufficient for employment as a Graduate Teaching Assistant.

Official scores from an English proficiency standardized test (e.g. TOEFL, IELTS-Academic, or PTE), sent by thetesting agency to the University of Kansas.Official scores must be less than twoyearsold.

Applicants that do not meet the minimum scores should review the English Proficiency Chart, for information about provisional admission and petition processes based on exceptional circumstances.

Applicants should submit their scores directly to the Office of Graduate Studies:

Office of Graduate Studies
213 Strong Hall
1450 Jayhawk Blvd.,
Lawrence KS 66045

In addition to the general requirements of the Graduate School listed above, candidates to the graduate program in the Department of Spanish and Portuguese must meet the criteria below.

For the M.A. Program:

-  B.A. degree, preferably in Spanish literatures and cultures, or related fields.

-  Minimum GPA of 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale) in overall undergraduate coursework.

Please note that students applying to the M.A. degree must be fluent in oral and written Spanish.

For the Ph.D. Program:

-  M.A. in Hispanic Literatures or a related field.

-  Minimum GPA of 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale) in overall undergraduate coursework.

Calendar of Events
♥ Every Donation Matters.

Give to Spanish & Portuguese