In addition to the KU Graduate Application, the following components should be included in your online application:
- A statement of academic objectives describing your intellectual development, previous academic training, and areas of academic interest, and identify the faculty member(s) you are interested working with based on your subject area of interest. The quality of this statement is an especially important factor in the decisions of our admissions committee. The statement should be a maximum of two pages, single spaced.
- A resume/curriculum vitae
- Copy of an official transcript from all post-secondary institutions attended
- A Spanish writing sample (not to exceed 30 pages)
- Three letters of recommendation with the appropriate waiver form
Proof of English Proficiency
The Office of Graduate Studies requires all applicants to demonstrate proof of English proficiency. See “Admissions” under the University Policies & Degree Requirements section of this document for more information regarding the University’s requirements for providing proof of English Proficiency.
In exceptional cases, the department may recommend an applicant for provisional admission who does not meet the University’s minimum requirements for admission. This may occur, for example, if a student’s overall undergraduate GPA is deficient but the major GPA, GRE scores, and statement of academic objectives suggest strong potential for success in graduate student. All recommendations for provisional admission are contingent on approval by the College and University.
To continue in the program, students admitted provisionally must meet with the Director of Graduate Studies at the start of the academic term, must comply with any requests for additional meetings or communications, and must earn at least a 3.0 GPA in the first semester of graduate coursework at KU.
Admissions Contact Information
If you have questions about the academic program or curriculum, contact the Director of Graduate Studies. If you have questions about the application process or required materials, contact the Graduate Academic Advisor.