Welcome! ¡Bienvenidos! Bem-vindos!
The Department of Spanish and Portuguese offers a full range of undergraduate and graduate courses. While the major emphasis of the Department is literature, we also offer courses in Spanish language, linguistics, and culture, as well as Portuguese language, Brazilian literature and cultural studies. The Department has received the Departmental Award for Exceptional Teaching and Learning from the Center for Teaching Excellence, University of Kansas, and is highly ranked by the NRC. We recognize the integral relationship between teaching and research, and all members of the faculty are both active scholars and dedicated teachers.
About the Department of Spanish & Portuguese
By the numbers:
- 100 undergraduates majoring in Spanish
- 17 faculty members dedicated to scholarship and teaching
- 5 study abroad programs in Argentina, Brazil and Spain
- Fiske Guide to Colleges calls Spanish & Portuguese one of KU's strongest programs
- Consistently ranked among the most distinguished graduate programs in Spanish by the National Research Council
- Winner of the 2007 Departmental Award for Exceptional Teaching and Learning from KU's Center for Teaching Excellence
- Comprehensive undergraduate program in Spanish language, literature and culture, as well as Portuguese language and Brazilian literature and cultural studies
- Comprehensive graduate program in Spanish language, literature and culture.